top of page



Japan is an island country in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it lies off the eastern coast of the Asian continent and stretches from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and the Philippine Sea in the south.


Visitor Visa

Tourism in China requires a visa and is typically a single entry visa with a stay duration of 30 days. US citizens may be eligible for a 10-year multiple entry visa.

The tourism visa requires your passport to be valid for at least 6 months and it must have at least two blank pages. You must also have an invitation letter from a china travel agency or an individual or round-trip ticket and a hotel booking.

You must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:

  • Be valid for six months beyond the length of your requested visa (for example, if you are requesting a 12-month visa your passport must be valid for 18 months )

  • Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)

  • If requesting multiple entries, the passport must contain at least two blank facing visa pages, there can be no stamps or amendment endorsement types on the pages 

  • Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

CET Academic Programs will advise you on how the Invitation Letter requirement will be fulfilled for participants from your program.  Please contact CET Academic Programs if you have any questions on what you should submit to meet this requirement.

  • A copy of your round trip airline ticket, or

  • Itinerary and airline confirmation: A copy of your day-by-day cruise itinerary, or if on a tour, your tour itinerary. In addition you must provide a copy of your confirmed airline reservations showing all segments of your flights from the state of residence in the U.S. to China and returning to the U.S. to your state of residence. Your itinerary and flight information must include your full name as it appears on your passport, or 

  • A copy of an official letter of invitation from a governmental agency or individual sponsor.  If you obtain a letter of invitation from an individual sponsor in China, the invitation must include the following:

    • Your name, gender, date of birth

    • Purpose of applicant's visit

    • Date of arrival and departure

    • Places to visit, specific names of cities required

    • Details of your flight itinerary and hotel reservation

    • State who will bear the cost of the applicant's lodging while in China

    • Information on the sponsor: name of the unit, phone number, address, copy of sponsor's passport or ID

    • Have company or organizations seal/stamp

Business Visa

China “M” business visas are issued for commercial and trade activities, such as visiting clients, meeting with business partners, and attending trade fairs. These visas are typically valid for 3 months. US citizens may be eligible for a 10-year multiple entry visa. The category “F” business visas are for academic exchange including conducting research, attending conferences, and University collaboration. These are typically valid for 3-6 months with 1-2 entries.

If you’re planning on accepting a position in China, check out our Chinese work visa application.


You must provide a letter of invitation. Use the included template in this kit as a guide to the content and format of the invitation. All components are of the template are required.

You are required to provide a Business Cover Letter from your U.S.-based company. All letters must be printed on company letterhead that displays a U.S. mailing address. Use the included sample Business Cover Letter to complete your letter. The Business Cover letter will be provided to you. Please refer to the Important Information section above for more details. In addition to the language provided in the sample, your Business Cover Letter must:

  • The letter must be addressed to Embassy of China

bottom of page